Period Hacks: 9 Ways to Ditch the Cramps and Liberate your Cycle
Your period can actually be a time of rest, relaxation, rejuvenation, deep internal wisdom and pleasure (yes I said PLEASURE)! You have the choice to spend your energy avoiding and resenting your period or to honor and celebrate it. The way we approach anything in life, is how it will be mirrored back to us.
Give yourself the greatest gift, enjoy your monthly flow!
1. Exercise – Get the blood and lymph moving and break a sweat! Don’t just lay in bed with your feet up taking pain pills and feeling sorry for yourself. Get your comfy pants on and get your body moving, dancing, expressing and undulating. I’m not suggesting you run a marathon, however exercise will keep your energy circulating and is the best way to alleviate cramping. Exercise also releases dopamine, the ‘feel good’ hormone.
2. Fresh Air – Take deep and long breaths in the the fresh outside air; the more nature time the better! Turn off your phone and go for a walk (barefoot if possible). Let your mind wander, find gratitude for the all the elements. Let your pace be slow and take time to smell the flowers. I also love to make nature altars out of leaves, flowers, acorns, ferns;whatever I can find.
3. Release Gravity – Go for a swim, in the ocean is the best if you have access, as it will also balance negative ions. A hot epsom salt bath with your favorite oils, candles and tunes is a perfect alternative.
4. Eat Light – This can feel somewhat counterintuitive, however it will make a huge difference in how you feel. If you can avoid chocolate, caffeine and heavy foods (high fats and carbs) it will actually be a huge help in alleviating bloating, water retention, gas and excess bleeding. The cleaner your internal landscape is, the more easeful your shed will be.
5. Gratitude – I invite you to spend 5 minutes writing a list of ‘gratitude’ for your achy and amazing miracle of a uterus. Grab a pen and paper, set a timer and continue writing. Infusing gratitude into our life is one of the best things we can do, especially to alchemize everything back into Love.
6. Earth Belly Breathing – Go outside, find a sweet grassy or sandy spot and lay your belly on the earth. Imagine your whole body sinking into the embrace of the Mother Earth beneath you. Breath long and deep into your belly. Continue to invite your breath down, from your chest and into the center of your belly. On your inhales imagine yourself breathing in all the qualities you desire to embody: for example beauty, wisdom, grounded, powerful, radiant, creative, etc. On your exhales, release any stuck emotions or physical sensations, release any old patterns, lovers and habits. The Earth Mother is able to transmute and compost our waste into reusable, loving energy.
9. Herbal Allies – Using plant medicine is a great way to assist in relieving painful period cramps. Ginger is my favorite herb for cramps. One study demonstrated that giving ginger capsules four times a day, starting 3 days before the period, works just as effectively as ibuprofen to treat menstrual pain. Cinnamon capsules taken 3 times a day for the first 3 days of your cycle can reduce pain, nausea and vomiting. This is also an excellent herb for heavy or excessive bleeding. Anti-spasmodic herbs are also amazing allies. These are herbs known for their ability to decrease muscle ‘spasms’ and alleviate pain. Crampbark is my go-to and is specifically known to help relieve uterine muscle spasms.